Hilo: Volcano by Air & Land
One of Paradise Helicopter’s most popular tours, the Volcano by Air & Land, is now available with departures from Hilo! Combine the thrill of doors off flight with unobstructed views of any lava activity, with an in depth ground tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and the surrounding area. Start with the only doors off helicopter flight over the volcano on Paradise Helicopters’ Lava & Rainforests Adventure flight.
You will discover why the Travel Channel calls this the “hottest helicopter ride on Earth!” Kīlauea Volcano has been continuously erupting for over 30 years, and even at 500 feet above the flowing lava and open vents, you will feel waves of hot air rolling off the subsurface flows, which can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees! Your pilot will search out the day’s activity – sometimes a burning forest fire, a stream or lake of glowing lava, or even an entry into the ocean – usually only accessible from the air.
After the first part of your “air” experience, you will land in Hilo and meet your expert Hawaii Forest & Trail interpretive guide. Get an up close and personal visit to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, on the ground, which is listed as both a World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere Preserve. Once at the Park you will see splendid native rainforest, visit a lava tube, discover remarkable volcanic formations and experience an incredible diversity of geography and climates. Through detailed geologic and natural history interpretation, short walks and driving, you explore and learn about the world’s most active volcano. A picnic lunch is served during your adventure before you return to the Hilo Airport, full of wonder and a new appreciation for the natural world.
- Lava activity and volcanic formations
- Ground tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
- Kīlauea Volcano
- Native rainforest and lava tube
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Click to view
Mon – Sat
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* Total flight time typically varies from 40-50 minutes
- Approx. 45 minutes* total air tour flight time
- Approx. 7 hour guided walking tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park , Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach & Ka‘ū Coffee
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Short walks under 2 miles – rated easy to moderate
- Ground transportation to and from Hilo airport and within Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
- Park entry fees, walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear, daypacks
- Please make reservations no less than 48 hrs in advance to confirm tour availability
- Deli style lunch with assorted beverages
- All cameras and sunglasses must have straps
- No hats permitted on flight
- Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short climbs
- Recommend comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket
- For more ground tour details go to http://www.hawaii-forest.com/index.php/tours/kilauea_ volcano
- Tour length subject to change
Moderate: Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short climbs.
There are no product reviews yet.