Hilo: Volcano by Air & Land
Starting June 1, 2020
We are offering this flight exclusively as a private flight. Due to social distancing requirements, this tour on our MD 500 will be flown doors-off and aircraft seating has been modified to seat up to two (2) guests. Ground portion of this excursion may also be available as a private experience for additional fees – please call for details. Learn more about our new elevated health & safety protocol in response to COVID-19.
One of Paradise Helicopters’ most popular tours, the Volcano by Air & Land, is now available with departures from Hilo! Combine the excitement of a doors-off flight with unobstructed views and an in-depth ground tour of areas surrounding Kīlauea Volcano. Start with the only doors-off helicopter flight over the volcano on Paradise Helicopters’ Doors-Off Lava & Rainforests Adventure tour route, where your pilot will search out the day’s activity.
After the first part of your air experience, you will land in Hilo and meet your expert Hawaii Forest & Trail interpretive guide. Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Ka‘ū – home to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, black sand beaches, and a private lava tube. Discover how the powerful forces of nature have shaped the people and landscape of this dynamic region, Hawaii’s largest land district. The perfect blend of nature and culture led by an expert interpretive guide, this tour reveals what it’s like to live on two active volcanoes. A picnic lunch is served during your adventure before you return to the Hilo International Airport.
- Current activity at Kilauea Volcano
- Tropical rainforests of Puna
- Waterfalls of Hilo
- Immerse yourself in stories of Hawaiian legends and mythology with a focus on Pele, Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes
- Drive off-road to a private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests.
Discover all of the “must see” spots within Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park including the dramatically changed Halemaumau Crater
Walk across a crystal-fine black sand beach as you search for basking sea turtles
Limited – One Tour Daily.
1 hour prior to tour
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Click to view
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* Approx 8.5 hour tour duration with approx. 35 minutes* total air tour flight time in Hughes MD500 or Bell 407 helicopter. Approx. 7 hour expert guided ground tour of East Hawaii.
Doors-off or Doors-on experience
Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
Wear comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket
All cameras, including cell phones, and sunglasses must have straps (if flying on the Doors-Off upgrade)
No hats permitted on flight (if flying on the Doors-Off upgrade)
- Warm clothing suggested as flight portion may be cool and windy (if flying on the Doors-Off upgrade)
- Dress Code: comfortable, closed-toe walking shoes, wear or bring long pants, and a light jacket for the ground portion
Lunch, beverages provided
Short walks under 2 miles – rated easy to moderate. Can be foggy and misty.
Ground transportation to and from Hilo airport
Includes: all access fees and use of walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear, daypacks
Please make reservations no less than 48 hrs in advance to confirm tour availability
- This tour is not recommended for guests with back or neck problems, an extreme fear of heights, or expectant mothers.
- Ages 8 and over
- Guests must weigh between 70-270 lbs. Participants weighing over 250 lbs. may be assessed additional fuel surcharge.
- Tour lengths subject to change
- What to Bring & Wear: Closed-toe shoes required. Bring a bathing suit (can be worn under clothes), hat, sunscreen and a light jacket or sweatshirt.
Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short climbs
Moderate: guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of 2 to 3 miles on uneven terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Terrain might be uneven or have short climbs.
Book Early – this special tour is limited to one a day!