Hilo: Volcano by Air & Land
One of Paradise Helicopter’s most popular tours, the Volcano by Air & Land, is now available with departures from Hilo! Combine unobstructed views of the current lava conditions with an in-depth ground tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and the surrounding area.
Start with a spectacular helicopter flight over the volcano on Paradise Helicopters’ Lava & Rainforests Adventure flight. Your pilot will search out the day’s lava activity – sometimes a burning forest fire, a stream or lake of glowing lava, or even an entry into the ocean – usually only accessible from the air.
After the first part of your “air” experience, you will land in Hilo and meet your expert Hawaii Forest & Trail guide. Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Ka‘ū–home to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, historic farming plantations, ranches, and the famous black sand beach of Punalu‘u. Discover how the powerful forces of nature have shaped the people and landscape of this dynamic region, Hawaii’s largest land district. The perfect blend of nature and culture led by an interpretive guide, this tour reveals what it’s like to live on two active volcanoes.
- Discover the all of the “must see” spots within the Park, including the dramatically changed Halema‘uma‘u Crater
- Discover breathtaking views of Kilauea and the Ka‘ū coast, and catch a bird’s eye view of the Halema‘uma‘u Crater from a private view point on Mauna Loa
- Sample & shop for award-winning farm-fresh coffee at Ka‘ū Coffee Mill, along with other Hawai‘i Island grown treats like macadamia nuts, honey, & chocolate
- Walk across a crystal- fine black sand beach as you search for basking sea turtles at Punalu‘u.
- Immerse yourself in stories of Hawaiian legends and mythology with a focus on Pele, Hawaiian goddess of re lightning, wind, & volcanoes
- Explore a historic 165-year-old working ranch known for its sprawling view planes, native forest, and wildlife such as cattle, goats, sheep & horses
Through detailed geologic and natural history interpretation, short walks and driving, you explore and learn about the world’s most active volcano. A picnic lunch is served during your adventure before you return to the Hilo Airport, full of wonder and a new appreciation for the natural world.
- Available lava activity and volcanic formations
- Experience a Black Sand Beach
- Local Ranch & Farm Visit
- Native Hawaiian Rainforest Stroll
- Private Gazebo View of Rainbow Falls
- Kohala Valleys & Waterfalls by Air
While we are flying all of our regular tours and charters, please understand that what you will see on our flights is highly dependent upon 1) the eruption, 2) the weather, and 3) the temporary flight restrictions in place. Please be assured that our pilots will do their best to navigate all conditions to deliver to you the safest and best viewing experience possible.
Please be assured that our pilots will do their best to navigate all conditions to deliver to you the safest and best viewing experience possible.
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Click to view
Mon – Sat
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* Total flight time typically varies from 40-50 minutes
- Approx. 7 hour guided walking tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park , Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach & Ka‘ū Coffee
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
Short walks under 2 miles – rated easy to moderate
- Ground transportation to and from Hilo airport and within
Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
Park entry fees, walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear,
- Deli style lunch with assorted beverages
- Please make reservations no less than 48 hrs in advance
to confirm tour availability
- All cameras and sunglasses must have straps
- No hats permitted on flight
- Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short
- Recommend comfortable walking shoes, long pants,
and a light jacket
- For more ground tour details go here
- Tour length subject to change
- Paid parking
Moderate: Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short climbs.