Hilo: Volcanoes & Waterfalls Extreme
Departs: Hilo Airport, Hilo Duration: 45 min*
Feel The Heat! Take a ride in our Hughes 500 helicopter with no doors, and find out for yourself why the Travel Channel calls this the “hottest helicopter ride on Earth!” Kīlauea Volcano has been continuously erupting for 30 years, and even at 500 feet above the flowing lava and open vents, you will feel waves of hot air rolling off the subsurface flows, which can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees! Along the way, cool off as you soar over Hilo’s lush rain forests, Mauna Loa’s vistas and the plunging Wai‘ānuenue (Rainbow Falls), so named for the rainbows you can see in the mist when the early morning sunshine hits the water.
There’s no better vantage point than a helicopter, and there’s no bigger thrill than leaving the doors behind so there is nothing between you and the sights!
Current activity at Kilauea Volcano
Tropical rainforests of Puna
Waterfalls of North Hilo
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* Total flight time typically varies from 40 – 50 minutes.
Warm clothing suggested as flight is cool and windy
All cameras including cell phones must have straps
No hats permitted on flight
Easy: Suitable for adults, children and seniors.
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Free round-trip transportation for tours departing from the Kona International Airport.
- Free transportation is limited and based on availability.
- Please reply to your confirmation email with a request for transportation and hotel name. Paradise Helicopters will confirm availability for your date via email and/or phone.
- Pick up and drop off locations are limited to the Kona Coast including the Hapuna area – North and the Keauhou area South.
- Exceptions and other restrictions may apply.
- Free transportation only applies to Air Adventures purchased directly from Paradise Helicopters.
- May not be combined with other offers.