Kona: Big Island Expedition
Our Big Island Expedition offers you a chance to see Hawai‘i Island’s most stunning scenery, as well as delve into the island’s rich history and culture in historic Hilo town. See the island from the air and land in Hilo to explore the windward side. This big island helicopter tour departs from the Kona Airport in a Bell 407, Hawai’i’s premier touring helicopter, on the same route as the Hawai‘i Experience. You will fly over the Kona coffee district and the slopes of Hualālai and Mauna Loa on your way to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National to hunt for red, hot lava at Kīlauea, the world’s most active volcano, and Pu‘u ʻŌʻō Vent.
From here, you can take the complimentary ground transportation to the downtown area for a self-guided walking to the farmers market, Pacific Tsunami Museum, Lyman Museum, quirky shops, and other points of interest. Or, you can choose to venture out on your own. ‘Akaka Falls, the World Botanical Gardens, ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center, and Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park are all within driving distance. At the end of your excursion your helicopter waits to take you on the second half of your air tour. You’ll visit lush rainforests and the incomparable Kohala valleys. The views here are spectacular and often the favorite hidden gem discovered by our guests. Rounding out your trip, you’ll get a birds-eye view of iconic beaches, including Hāpuna Beach and Kua Bay, that are consistently voted as the best in the world.
- See current activity at Kilauea Volcano
- Amazing white and black sand beaches
- Hundreds of waterfalls
- 2,000′ valley walls
- Breathtaking coast lines
- 11 different climate zones
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* Total flight time typically varies by 1.7 – 2.1 hours.
- Full Day Tour. See more of the island in a day than some see on many trips by car!
- Approx. 8 hours in Hilo
- Return ground transportation between Hilo Airport and downtown Hilo (optional)
- Sub-compact car rental (optional, for an additional fee)
Free round-trip transportation for tours departing from the Kona International Airport.
- Free transportation is limited and based on availability.
- Please reply to your confirmation email with a request for transportation and hotel name. Paradise Helicopters will confirm availability for your date via email and/or phone.
- Pick up and drop off locations are limited to the Kona Coast including the Hapuna area – North and the Keauhou area South.
- Exceptions and other restrictions may apply.
- Free transportation only applies to Air Adventures purchased directly from Paradise Helicopters.
- May not be combined with other offers.
Easy: Suitable for adults, children and seniors.
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.