Kona: Volcano by Air & Land
Paradise Helicopters’ Volcano by Air & Land tour allows you to explore the Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park area in flight and on foot – including sinking your toes into a beautiful black sand beach and sipping on local coffee. This adventure departs from the Kona International Airport in an executive style Bell 407 helicopter. En route to the Volcano area, you will overfly the world-famous Kona coffee district and skirt three of Hawai‘i’s towering volcanoes: Hualālai, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Upon arrival to the volcano area, your pilot will take you to view what was the world’s most active volcano, and continue towards the crater that was previously Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō Vent. After the first part of your air experience, you will land in Hilo and meet your expert Hawaii Forest & Trail interpretive guide. Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Kau– home to historic farms, ranches, and famous black sand beaches. Discover how the powerful forces of nature have shaped the people and landscape of this dynamic region, Hawaii’s largest land district. The perfect blend of nature and culture led by an expert interpretive guide, this tour reveals what it’s like to live on two active volcanoes.
- Discover breathtaking views of Kilauea and the Kau coast and catch a glimpse of the Halemaumau Crater from a private view point on Mauna Loa
- Tour a local farm, sample and shop for Hawai‘i Island grown treats like coffee, macadamia nuts, honey and chocolate
- View Rainbow Falls from our private gazebo
- Walk across a crystal-fine black sand beach as you search for basking sea turtles at Punaluʻu
- Stroll through a native Hawaiian Rainforest at the Volcano Art Center, see locally made art, and learn about the latest eruption information
- Explore a historic 165-year-old working ranch known for its sprawling view planes, native forest, and wildlife such as cattle, goats, sheep, and horses
A picnic lunch is served during your adventure before you return to the Hilo Airport to take to the sky again. Back in the air, you’ll take the leisurely route to Kona along the eastern and northern coasts. You will venture deep into uninhabited valleys that showcase Hawai‘i’s wild, untamed beauty. Water cascades down sheer valley walls, and surf pounds rocky cliffs and unreachable beaches. Finally, watch the landscape shift again, as you fly over Pololū Valley, south to Kawaihae and over beautiful white and black sand beaches to make your way down the coastline and return to the Kona International Airport in time to enjoy one of Hawai‘i’s famed sunsets.
- Hualālai, Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa & Kilauea Volcanoes by Air
- Experience a Black Sand Beach
- Local Ranch & Farm Visit
- Native Hawaiian Rainforest Stroll
- Private Gazebo View of Rainbow Falls
- Kohala Valleys & Waterfalls by Air
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Click to view
Mon – Sat
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* total fight time typically varies from 1.7 – 2.1 hours
- Approx. 2 hours* total air tour flight time in Bell 407 helicopter
- Approx. 7 hour guided walking tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, Black Sand Beach & Ka‘ū Coffee
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Ground transportation available to and from the Kona Airport between Keauhou and North Kohala
- Short walks under 2 miles – rated easy to moderate
- Ground transportation to and from Hilo airport and within Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
- Park entry fees, walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear, daypacks
- Deli style lunch with assorted beverages
- Please make reservations no less than 48 hrs in advance to confirm tour availability
- Full price will be charged for cancellations and “no shows” unless we receive prior notice 48 hours in advance.
- Recommend comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket
- More ground tour details at hawaii-forest.com.
- Tour length subject to change
- Paid parking
Free round-trip transportation for tours departing from the Kona International Airport.
- Free transportation is limited and based on availability.
- Please reply to your confirmation email with a request for transportation and hotel name.
- Paradise Helicopters will confirm availability for your date via email and/or phone.
- Pick up and drop off locations are limited to the Kona Coast including the Hapuna area – North and the Keauhou area South.
- Exceptions and other restrictions may apply.
- Free transportation only applies to Air Adventures purchased directly from Paradise Helicopters.
- May not be combined with other offers.
Moderate: Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short climbs.
Limited Availability & Departures
Book Early – this special tour is limited to one a day!