Kona: Volcano by Air & Land
Paradise Helicopter’s Volcano by Air & Land tour allows you to explore the Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park area in flight and on foot – including sinking your toes into a beautiful black sand beach and sipping on award-winning coffee. This adventure departs from the Kona International Airport in an executive style Bell 407 helicopter. En route to the Volcano area, you will overfly the world-famous Kona coffee district and skirt three of Hawai‘i’s towering volcanoes: Hualālai, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.
Upon arrival to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, your pilot will search out the day’s activity – sometimes a burning forest fire, a stream or lake of glowing lava, or an entry into the ocean – usually only accessible from the air.
After the first part of your “air” experience, you will land in Hilo and meet your expert Hawaii Forest & Trail interpretive guide. Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Kaʻū — home to Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, historic farming plantations and the famous black sand beach of Punaluʻu. Discover how the powerful forces of nature have shaped the people and landscape of this dynamic region, Hawai’i’s largest land district. The perfect blend of nature and culture led by an expert interpretive guide, this tour reveals what it’s like to live on two active volcanoes.
· Discover all the “must see” spots within the Park; including Jaggar Museum, Nāhuku (Thurston Lava Tube) and Halema‘uma‘u Crater
· Sample and shop for award-winning farm fresh coffee at Kaʻū Coffee Mill, along with other Hawai‘i Island grown treats like macadamia nuts, honey and chocolate
· Walk across a crystal-fine black sand beach as you search for basking sea turtles at Punaluʻu
· Immerse yourself in stories of Hawaiian legends and mythology, with a focus on Pele, Hawaiian goddess of fire, lightning, wind and volcanoes
· Explore a lava tube and discover the mysteries of how these tunnels are formed
A picnic lunch is served during your adventure before you return to the Hilo Airport to take to the sky again. Back in the air, you’ll take the leisurely route to Kona along the eastern and northern coasts. You will venture deep into uninhabited valleys that showcase Hawai‘i’s wild, untamed beauty. Water cascades down sheer valley walls, and surf pounds rocky cliffs and unreachable beaches. Finally, watch the landscape shift again, as you fly over Pololū Valley, south to Kawaihae and over beautiful white and black sand beaches to make your way down the coastline and return to the Kona Airport in time to enjoy one of Hawai‘i’s famed sunsets.
- Explore the Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park area in flight and on foot.
- Black sand beach
- Volcanoes: Hualālai, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa
- Explore a lava tube
- Kaʻū Coffee Mill
- Pololū Valley
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Click to view
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* Total flight time typically varies by 1.7 – 2.1 hours. Approx. 11 hours total, including check-in.
- Approx. 2 hours* total air tour flight time in a Bell 407 helicopter
Approx. 7 hour guided tour of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, Kaʻū Coffee Mill, and Punaluʻu Black Sand Beach
- Short hikes under 2 miles – rated easy to moderate
Ground transportation to and from Hilo airport and within Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
- Park entry fees, walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear, daypacks
- Deli style lunch with assorted beverages
- Please make reservations no less than 48 hrs in advance to confirm tour availability
Free round-trip transportation for tours departing from the Kona International Airport.
- Free transportation is limited and based on availability.
- Please reply to your confirmation email with a request for transportation and hotel name. Paradise Helicopters will confirm availability for your date via email and/or phone.
- Pick up and drop off locations are limited to the Kona Coast including the Hapuna area – North and the Keauhou area South.
- Exceptions and other restrictions may apply.
- Free transportation only applies to Air Adventures purchased directly from Paradise Helicopters.
- May not be combined with other offers.
Moderate: Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and short climbs.
Limited Availability & Departures
Please call to confirm availability when booking! Reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance. This tour departs mornings.