Kona: Volcano by Air & Land
Starting June 1, 2020
We are offering this tour exclusively as a private excursion. Due to social distancing requirements, we have modified our cabin seating arrangement and this tour seats up to five (5) guests. Ground portion of this excursion may also be available as a private experience for additional fees – please call for details. Learn more about our new elevated health & safety protocol in response to COVID-19.
Paradise Helicopters’ Volcano by Air & Land tour allows you to explore the Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park area in flight and on foot – including sinking your toes into a beautiful black sand beach and exploring a private lava tube. This adventure departs from the Kona International Airport in an executive style Bell 407 helicopter. En route to the Volcano area, you will overfly the world-famous Kona coffee district and skirt three of Hawai‘i’s towering volcanoes: Hualālai, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Upon arrival to the volcano area, your pilot will take you to view what was the world’s most active volcano, and continue towards the crater that was previously Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō Vent. After the first part of your air experience, you will land in Hilo and meet your expert Hawaii Forest & Trail interpretive guide.Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Kau-home to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, black sand beaches, and a private lava tube. Discover how the powerful forces of nature have shaped the people and landscape of this dynamic region, Hawaii’s largest land district. The perfect blend of nature and culture led by an expert interpretive guide, this tour reveals what it’s like to live on two active volcanoes. A picnic lunch is served during your adventure before you return to the Hilo Airport to take to the sky again.
Back in the air, you’ll take the leisurely route to Kona along the eastern and northern coasts. You will venture deep into uninhabited valleys that showcase Hawai‘i’s wild, untamed beauty. Water cascades down sheer valley walls, and surf pounds rocky cliffs and unreachable beaches. Finally, watch the landscape shift again, as you fly over Pololū Valley, south to Kawaihae and over beautiful white and black sand beaches to make your way down the coastline and return to the Kona International Airport in time to enjoy one of Hawai‘i’s famed sunsets.
- Hualālai, Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa & Kilauea Volcanoes by Air
- Experience a Black Sand Beach
- Local Ranch & Farm Visit
- Native Hawaiian Rainforest Stroll
- Private Gazebo View of Rainbow Falls
- Kohala Valleys & Waterfalls by Air
Make your tour epic with our exclusive and signature add-ons.
Click to view
Tues, Wed, Friday, Sat
For answers to common questions please read our faq.
* total fight time typically varies from 1.7 – 2.1 hours. Total duration approx. 10 hours including check-in.
- Approx. 1 hour & 45 minutes* total air tour flight time in Bell 407 helicopter
- Approx. 7 hour expert guided ground tour of East Hawaii
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Ground transportation available to and from the Kona Airport between Keauhou and North Kohala
- Complimentary ground transportation available to and from the Kona Airport between Keauhou and North Kohala
- Short walks under 2 miles – rated easy to moderate. Can be foggy and misty.
- Ground transportation to and from Hilo airport
- Park entry fees, walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear, daypacks
- Discover all of the “must see” spots within Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park including the dramatically changed Halemaumau Crater
- Drive off-road to a private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests.
- Walk across a crystal-fine black sand beach as you search for basking sea turtles
- Immerse yourself in stories of Hawaiian legends and mythology with a focus on Pele, Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes
- Please make reservations no less than 48 hrs in advance to confirm tour availability
- Full price will be charged for cancellations and “no shows” unless we receive prior notice 48 hours in advance.
- Recommend comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket
- More ground tour details at hawaii-forest.com.
- Tour length subject to change
- Lunch and beverages provided
- Dress Code: comfortable, closed-toe walking shoes, wear or bring long pants, and a light jacket for the ground portion
- Includes: all access fees, and use of walking staffs, rain gear, warm wear, daypacks
- Self-Pay parking
Free round-trip transportation for tours departing from the Kona International Airport.
- Free transportation is limited and based on availability.
- Please reply to your confirmation email with a request for transportation and hotel name.
- Paradise Helicopters will confirm availability for your date via email and/or phone.
- Pick up and drop off locations are limited to the Kona Coast including the Hapuna area – North and the Keauhou area South.
- Exceptions and other restrictions may apply.
- Free transportation only applies to Air Adventures purchased directly from Paradise Helicopters.
- May not be combined with other offers.
Moderate- guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of 2 to 3 miles on uneven terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Terrain might be uneven or have short climbs.
Limited Availability & Departures
Book Early – this special tour is limited to one a day!